We have complied the top 10 tips to remember for any solo traveller.
A major concern for solo travellers is safety. You have one major advantage over groups, you can blend in and not drawing attention to yourself as a tourist is one way to stay secure.
Here are our top 10 tips:
1. Know how long it takes and how much it costs to get from the airport to your hotel or to the city center.
2. Arrange late check-in and check-out in advance if you need to.
3. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.
4. Carry ID in more than one place. Take spare passport photos and photocopies of your passport and ID.
5. Keep to open and public places, especially at night.
6. Be confident and walk purposefully.
7. Don't draw attention to yourself by wearing flashy clothes or jewelry.
8. Lie a little. When asking directions, don't let on that you are alone: "Can you direct me to the museum? I have to meet a friend"
9. Download maps in advance so you are not reliant on wi-fi. Make sure you are familiar with the route so you don't have to stand around peering at maps.
10. Leave a copy of your itinerary with a friend or family member at home
Staying safe whilst travelling alone is a real fear and this is justifiable. However, there are many practical and sensible ways to travel alone safely, so a fear should not prevent you from embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. We have given you 10 top tips to help you stay safe whilst travelling alone.
Probably the most important is being prepared and being confident if you know in advance where your going and what you're doing it's easier to blend in. Blending in prevents unwanted attention and the risks that go along with that. So before you step on that plane have a plan, share your plan with your loved ones and relax and enjoy yourself. You're about to discover the World.
We have developed two resources to help document you’re your solo travel journey. The Travel Adventure Journal was design to take with you everywhere you go so that you can remember your experiences and review the sites and places you’ve seen. Also as part of our travel series we developed the Solo Traveller Kit filled with checklists to make certain you take the most important things with you while you’re away.
Where are you planning on heading for your next solo trip? Members pop into the community boards and tell us about your plans and how these resources will help you have a safer and more organised trip than ever before?
Not a member but would like to be? We've love to invite you into the membership. Just scroll down to join us today.